Hey friends!! Today, I was craving something hardy & I had some beautiful chayotes & some mexican zucchini, so I decided to use them for stuffing in my tacos. Growing up, we had chayotes growing in our yard & I never dared to eat them. They seemed too “healthy” hehe, and guess what? They are very healthy, and delicious! Chayotes are a good source of potassium,calcium, magnesium, low-calorie food and are a mild anti-inflammatory food. Small mexican zucchini is a great source of Vitamin A, potassium & is a low glycemic food. Both are believed to have been first cultivated in Mesoamerica, so they seemed like a perfect stuffing for my tacos.
I did want to add a little bit of protein so I added some beautiful garbanzos/chickpeas to the mix. The recipe came out delicious, full of flavors & textures. Pair them with my yummy NRGY VEGAN HORCHATA for a filling & delicious dinner… I hope you enjoy it!!
NRGY Chayote, Mexican Zucchini & Garbanzo Chipotle Tacos: (4 servings)
-1 bag of your favorite tortillas or homemade tortillas (for a low carb version use lettuce leaves)
- 1 cup of dry garbanzos & water for cooking (canned are ok, but use the unsalted ones & rinse them thoroughly before using)
-2 chayotes & water for steaming
-2 Mexican zucchini
-2 large tomatoes
-1/3 cup of chipotle sauce
-2 cloves of garlic
-1 bunch of cilantro
-2 cups of chopped cabbage
- Avocado (optional)
-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- lemon to taste
- Wash all vegetables
- Cube the chayote into small pieces & steam for 10 minutes to soften them up
- Boil the garbanzos for 5 minutes or until soft
- Chop the tomatoes & the cabbage into small pieces & set aside.
- Cube the zucchini & set aside
-Chop the onion & garlic & place on a pan with oil over medium heat
-Add the Garbanzos & give them 2 minutes, after 2 minutes smash them with your fork
- After the chayote has steamed add it to the pan along with the zucchini
-Allow it to cook for about 10minutes or less
- Add the chipotle sauce, give it a toss & allow it to cook for 2 minutes
- You don’t really need to add any salt, as the chipotle sauce will already be salty.
- Heat up your tortillas & add the stuffing, top with fresh tomato, chopped cabbage, slices of fresh avocado, a bit of lime & if you want an extra kick add some extra chipotle sauce on top. Pair them with my yummy NRGY VEGAN HORCHATA & Enjoy!!
-PEACE & NRGY
Like what I’ve shared? Buy me a cup of tea, a wheatgrass shot, a cup of atole, Veggie Juice or Dessert!YUM!